Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kendo & Qipao

I had my first real gym class last week! For the first session, we are learning kendo. Kendo is a modern sport that evolved from traditional Japanese swordsmanship. The competitors wear armor and use bamboo swords called shinai to strike at three vital parts of the body to score points. The points are the head, wrist, and ribs. During gym class, you can hear when the kendo teams start up practice. Men and women scream and shout and loud stomps vibrate through the building. It can be rather frightening! I wish you all could hear my cry as I strike with my shinai. It probably sounds like a frightened rabbit...I have no pictures or videos because I keep forgetting to bring my camera, but next week I will! You will get to see me and my classmates hitting things with bamboo swords wearing armor that reminds me of traditional samurai armor!Here is a stock image in the meantime.


This Saturday, my friends and I went back to the hyakuyen store to get a few things. Along the way, we stopped at the store next to it that has coach bags, music, and other things. On the ceiling hung qipao(cheongsam), or Chinese style dresses. I bought one for 1500 yen($15)! I will be wearing it to the school's welcome party. I promise to get better pictures soon.

qipao

qipao details

Add caption



Sunday, I went rice cropping. I am going to make a separate post because I have a TON of pictures I would like to touch up and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment